- I didn't want to take the "possibly great job" that was an hour away (both ways) from home
- I didn't get a better possibility in Katy ISD
In doing this, I made the decision to stick it out another year at WMJH. I had hopes (not high--but hopes) that things would change at my school this year from what they were last year. They haven't. I still have no administrator response to any emails I send--whether it be regarding a student behavior issue or an invitation to the mentor/mentee breakfast we had last week (and they missed out on my yummy quiche!). The students are more disrespectful than ever because they know the administrators won't do anything to them except tell them, "Get it together"---even after I've wasted too much precious class time trying to get them to see why we have rules to follow.
And etc. Sad to say, I'm so discouraged that I don't even have the energy to write out my complaints right now. I actually sat down in class today and wrote out a list of why I liked teaching. (Don't worry--all my students were either at computers or the reading center and were on task--I wasn't slacking off). I only came up with 4 reasons--one being the vacation we get!
So...I'm looking for other options. Not actively yet, but I'm putting feelers out for possibilities in other districts and other things as well, like teaching at a community college. I just want to like what I do again!
On the positive side...I did start tutoring for a 3rd grade boy, and he is the best! I love Wednesdays when I get to visit little Nate and help him with reading/writing skills! He makes me realize I can go on to finish the week out, even when my students make me think otherwise! Thank you, precious Nate! I owe you a lot!
Thank you for letting me vent, oh blogging world. I'm tired of saying these same things and I know people are tired of hearing them. Thank you for letting me write it down!
4 comments:
I have a wonderful idea -- come on down & teach at Blinn ;)! Sorry you are having another bad year :(...I hope it gets better or that you'll find soemthing you enjoy again soon!!! hugs!
I'm sorry Stephanie, I know the feeling. And why don't administrators see that those test scores they deem so important are directly related to discipline in the school, overall? I've explored other options but I don't have my masters so I'm pretty much stuck. :P I got lucky with my gifted position. At least I, mostly, have the kids that care and don't misbehave. Mostly.
Sorry to hear it's been a rough year. I think we all feel that way about our jobs sometimes...even us non-teachers. Hang in there! Spring Break will be here soon.
Thanks girls! It's definitely been a rough year, so I'll be glad when my 60+ days are done this year!
Post a Comment